The Eldredge Public Library
The Eldredge Public Library is located at 564 Main Street, Chatham, Massachusetts. It is housed in a historic Romanesque Revival building, which is on the National Register of Historic Places. The library was donated by Chatham native Marcellus Eldredge, and was designed by Boston architect A. M. Marble.
The library opened its doors in 1896. It was designed by Albion Marble, and was built in the Romanesque Revival style. It has a slate roof, marble floors, and a beautiful woodworking interior. It had an addition built in 1968, and some renovations were made in the early 1990s.
The Eldredge Public Library, designed in 1896, is a National Register-listed building. Located at 564 Main Street, it is located in a beautiful Romanesque Revival building that was donated by Chatham native Marcellus Eldredge. The library is open to the public, and it offers WiFi, public computers, and other amenities.
The Eldredge Public Library has a history of helping Chatham residents. A local native, Eldredge went on to become a wealthy Portsmouth lawyer and legislator, but he maintained close ties to Chatham. In 1894, he purchased land on Main Street for $1,000. The new library was completed a year later and cost about $30000.